Please see the COVID-19 Remote Proctor Updates
Please see the COVID-19 PACKRAT Updates
Non-proctored PACKRAT exams allow students to take this self-assessment tool in their own environment. For many programs, this includes providing an extended time period or a multi-day window. Before choosing a non-proctored exam, faculty should set expectations with students on the conditions under which they take the exam, such as:
- Resources that students may be permitted to use during the exam, such as textbooks, applications, or web searches.
- Whether students must take the exam all in one sitting or break it up over multiple sessions during their allotted window (i.e., students are allowed to start the exam, stop for a while, and come back later). Please note that breaks longer than 10 minutes will require reauthorization from a faculty or admin user.
- Times during which a faculty or staff contact may be available for questions and reauthorizations.
A Faculty or Admin user must be assigned as a contact in case of any issues, though they won’t be expected to monitor the exam event as they would a proctored exam. Some system-related items to be aware of include:
- A student may disconnect and re-enter the exam up to three times, and for no longer than 10 minutes, without faculty intervention. After that, any faculty or admin user may re-authorize the student to continue from the Exam Scheduling tab. Click Edit next to the applicable event, then Manage next to Students at the bottom of the window. Faculty and staff should see a Re-authorize link next to the relevant student’s name. You may want to ask the student about the issues they are having before re-authorizing.
- If the student doesn't see the launch button, please have them do the following 1) logout of ExamDriver, 2) close the browser, 3) re-open the browser, and 4) login again. The launch button should appear. Faculty should contact customer support if you need further assistance.
Note: Make sure the student is not using the Safe Exam Browser, or outside their exam window.
- You may give students an extended period of time to take the exam. Click the Override box in the Exam Duration box and enter whatever time you like. This may be necessary for open-book exams.
- Include any notes, such as the exam rules listed above, in the Notes section at the bottom of the Exam Scheduling window.
- If you give students an extended window of time in which to start their exam (a weekend, for instance), please notify students that the system is down for maintenance every day between 3:00 and 5:00 a.m. ET.
- The exam will log instances of Viewing Other Content, Inappropriate Key Stroke, and Print Screen Detected, but will not stop their exam. We urge you to review exam events after the exam to see if any inappropriate behavior took place that violates PAEA’s or your institution’s honor code. We are particularly concerned with the latter two — if screenshots were taken, you must initiate an investigation and ensure that any content images are deleted. Unless required for technical support at the urging of a PAEA Exam Support agent, a student is prohibited from taking and keeping screenshots of PAEA exam content.