In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, PAEA allows two time-related accommodations for its exams – time and a half and double time – so that all students may have the opportunity to fairly complete the examinations. Our exam portal also allows for triple text zoom and color inversion, available in the upper-right corner of the testing window, for visually impaired students.
Other accommodations may be established by the program, such as frequent breaks (using the Pause function on the proctor's screen), private testing rooms, and live readers, as policies and facilities allow.
End of Rotation™ exams and PACKRAT® exams have different set-up procedures for time accommodations.
For End of Rotation exams:
ADA accommodations are entered when scheduling specific students for the exam, meaning all students can be assigned to the same exam event with time extended as needed. You cannot adjust the duration of the exam event when establishing the exam session (in the Schedule an Exam window). That information appears in gray, provided for your information only.
1. Visit the Exam Scheduling tab and click Schedule an Exam in the upper-right corner of the window to create the exam event.
2. In the pop-up window, enter your chosen exam, the starting date and time, the location, break duration, and any notes.
3. An alert will appear in the window, asking you to enter the names of the students and a proctor. Click Manage (next to Students).
4. Click Assign Students in the pop-up window in the upper-right corner.
5. Select the correct students in the list by checking the boxes on the left.
6. Enter the relevant accommodations. The information in the far-right column marked ADA is a drop-down menu for accommodations. Click on Not Requested, then a drop-down window will appear where you can change the field to the appropriate accommodation.
7. Hit Save at the bottom and then confirm the appropriate accommodations in the Students Assigned to Exam window. Then hit Close.
The default setting is to extend students' exam time. If you wish for students with time accommodations to begin early, you may schedule an earlier exam session just for them.
For PACKRAT exams:
Accommodations in the PACKRAT setup are a little different.
1. Create a separate exam event for students requiring accommodations. You adjust the time in the exam-session set-up, not for each student.
2. Next to Exam Duration, check the Override box.
3. This will allow you to input the extended time: 5 hours and 38 minutes for time and a half, or 7 hours and 30 minutes for double time. Please note: The sample calculations below the Exam Duration box will change when you edit the time, so know how long you need before you make any changes.
4. Add the names of your students and of the proctor, if needed, as usual.